How to Use an MRE Heater (Flameless Ration Heater (FRH))Oct 14th, 2011 | By admin | Category: Food Storage, Getting Ready
Each FRHFlameless Ration Heater is individually packaged in a sturdy, leak- proof polybag which serves as the heating container for the MREMeal Ready to Eat. The polybag measures 5 3/4 inches wide by 14 1/4 inches long. Some Imported heaters are showing up on the market with a slightly larger bag measuring 7 1/2 inches wide by 13 1/2 inches long.
To use the heater tear along the cut out on the bag or cut open the top of the bag allowing enough room to insert the meal pouch. Place the MREMeal Ready to Eat food portion inside the bag next to the heater. Add plain water to the “Fill Line”, and fold the open end of the bag.
In just 10 – 15 minutes – enjoy a hot meal anytime, anyplace.
- Vapors released by activated heater contain hydrogen, a flammable gas. Do not place an open flame in the vapor.
- Vapors released by activated heater can displace oxygen.
- Hot water leakage can burn and cause a cold- weather injury.
- After heating, the heater bag and MREMeal Ready to Eat pouch will be very hot. Use caution when removing MREMeal Ready to Eat pouch from bag.
- Discard heater and bag after use. Do not drink the water remaining in the bag or use it in food items.
HEATER AND ITS BYPRODUCTS ARE NOT INTENDED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FROZEN MREMeal Ready to Eat
- Use two heaters: one to thaw, one to heat.
- To thaw frozen MREMeal Ready to Eat: Follow instructions below except, add water to bag before adding MREMeal Ready to Eat. When heater begins to feel warm, add MREMeal Ready to Eat to bag.
- To heat thawed MREMeal Ready to Eat: Follow instructions below.
- In cold weather, heater can be placed in BDU pocket to heat MREMeal Ready to Eat. Make sure folded end of bag is up to prevent water from leaking out.
- Remove MREMeal Ready to Eat pouch from carton and save carton.
- .Tear off top of bag. Place MREMeal Ready to Eat pouch in bag with heater.
- While holding MREMeal Ready to Eat pouch and heater above lines on bag, pour water into bag until it reaches a level between lines. Slide heater and MREMeal Ready to Eat to bottom of bag, and fold top of bag to side opposite heater.
- With heater UNDERNEATH MREMeal Ready to Eat, hold bag level for a minute to let heater soak up water.
- Stuff assembly into carton with top of bag folded over top of MREMeal Ready to Eat and heater underneath.
- To prevent water from escaping and to maximize heat output, always keep:
- HEATER located UNDERNEATH MREMeal Ready to Eat;
- BAG folded OVER TOP of MREMeal Ready to Eat; and
- CARTON INCLINED, with FOLDED END of bag UP.
After ten to fifteen minutes (depending on air temperature) top half of bag can be torn off and the Hot MREMeal Ready to Eat can be removed and eaten.
Knead the MREMeal Ready to Eat before you open it to ensure uniform temperature. CAUTION: The contents will be hot.
Pictorial Step by Step Instructions;